However, just as the infamous phrase goes, breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. Breakfast has the ability to jump-start your metabolism and increase your energy, which are both major factors in weight loss. Skipping breakfast has actually been proven to cause people to eat more throughout the day in the form of larger portion sizes and unhealthy binge-eating. In fact, skipping breakfast has adverse effects on a person’s health, and can cause them to gain weight at an accelerated rate.
But - there’s more to eating a healthy breakfast than just eating something for the sake of filling your stomach. Typical American breakfast foods such as pancakes, waffles, sugary cereal, and even bacon are high in sugar and sodium, and not only just contribute to weight gain, but can make you feel tired, slow, and sluggish.
Here are some healthy breakfast ideas that will provide you with a lasting energy boost for the first part of your day, and even spur your weight-loss efforts.
- Low-fat yogurt with granola, nuts, or fruit. Low-fat yogurt can help with digestion to aid in weight loss. Make sure you purchase low-fat yogurt that lacks additives and sugar.
- Fruit smoothie made with low-fat milk or yogurt. Throw fruit such as bananas, pineapples, and berries into a blender, and add low-fat milk or yogurt. You can even drink a smoothie on the go if you’re pressed for time.
- Egg and cheese pita pockets. Buy whole-wheat pita bread from your local grocer and stuff it with sliced up hard-boiled eggs and a few small slices of your favorite cheese.
- Toaster waffle and yogurt. If you insist on eating waffles for breakfast, purchase all-natural or organic multigrain or whole-wheat waffles and top them with low-fat yogurt and slices of fruit.
- Peanut butter and banana burrito. Spread peanut butter over a tortilla, top with a sliced banana, and roll it up into a healthier version of a “breakfast” burrito.
Also, remember that you’re not required to eat typical “breakfast” foods just because it’s breakfast-time. If you want to forgo breakfast foods completely and go the route of foods such as rice, vegetables, sandwiches, and soup, eat those foods instead, as long as you’re dedicated to keeping it healthy.